Sunday, August 30, 2009

And we're back....

We arrived home yesterday afternoon - all my rug hooking supplies arrived safe and sound. Despite having a hardwood frame in my suitcase, it was not over weight. May I just say the Halifax airport has some of the best airport security I've ever seen - beats the pants out of Toronto.

First you have to go through a check in where they ask you if you have any liquids, aerosols or gels in your bag over 100ml. Of course, I answered no because I didn't have any - then it's through the xray machines where my birkenstocks caused some debate because they were going to make the alarm ring - they didn't. Then my carry on went through and it gets handed off to a security guy who looks me straight in the eye and says - Do you understand the rules? Do you understand that you cannot have any liquids, aerosols or gels over 100ml in your bag?

Of course, I understand the rules - there isn't anything like that in there? I say, with a touch of impatience.

Again he says, do you understand that you cannot have any liquids, aerosols or gelss over 100ml in your bag?

Yes! There isn't anything like that in there.

He goes about pulling out all the laptop, cell phone and ipod cords and then reaches in and pulls out my make up bag - and what do you think was in that bag? Shampoo, conditioner, body lotion, mousse and toothpaste - all of which go against the rules. I could have died - I completely forgot they were in there. Going to Nova Scotia they were packed in our checked our bags but coming home because of all the stuff I bought, it wouldn't fit. He looked at me all satisfied with himself and I said - I'm menopausal, I can hardly remember my own name sometimes so you can't expect me to remember what I put in my bag 2 hours ago. I then had to hand over all the offending items so I came home with no shampoo, no conditioner, no body lotion, no mousse and no toothpaste. However, my pointy sticks used for knitting didn't even raise an eyebrow. Not that I could have done much damage with bamboo needles. Lesson learned!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back.
Security is alway a hassle - does not matter where you go but it is necessary.
Clare

Anonymous said...

We need a blog update - when will it be???????
Clare